Southend Business Against Crime Meeting - March 23
Updated: Jun 29
Many thanks to those attended the Business Against Crime meeting.
Minutes and Actions from the last meeting
Southend City BID Crime and Safety Updates
· Street Ranger stats for December 22 - February 23: Visitor enquiries - 1,146, Business crime incidents - 452, Unlicensed events / buskers - 17, Rough sleeper engagement / begging incidents - 269, Anti-social behaviour - 411, First Aid - 2.
· Pleased to report that the forum, as a hub for the Street Rangers and a central city location, is housing one of the catastrophic bleed packs.
· Night Time Economy pack – awaiting some updates from one source and will get a final draft completed and sent to businesses. Contains useful contacts for businesses, advice and information, and details on campaigns
· Organising a ‘crime session’ for businesses.
· Crime Deterrent project successfully received in other towns.
· Southend was awarded the Purple Flag award for a tenth year in a row.
Southend Police Team Update
· Catastrophic Bleed Packs - provided to 8 locations in the city, in Southend these are at the King Pins, Park Inn, Moo Moo, The Forum, Adventure Inside. These were donated by Liam Taylor Legacy which was linked up through NTEG meetings.
· Arrests - 49 arrests since January meeting.
· CBOs - 5 offenders.
· Licensing visits - 20 and 1 venue reported for re-assessment.
· Trading standards – some venues selling e-liquids that were too powerful, one place closed down and several given warnings.
· Test purchasing operations completed on a variety of issues.
· Operation Union – planning and responded to higher footfall along seafront. 2 sergeant vacancies to specifically deal with April – October.
· Boots on the ground – next meeting in the forum in April.
· Question around getting a fine from a store.
Community Safety Updates
· Business as usual, daily presence on and around high street.
· Good result with the an individual causing a big nuisance with aggressive begging, now received a Criminal Behaviour Order.
· One subject has received a PSPO fine for street drinking, bail conditions not to be on or around the high street.
· CBO has been breached that was issued to one aggressive male mentioned at the last meeting. More action being taken against him.
· 23 fixed penalty notices for ASB, prosecution files being completed.
· Working with Youth Offending some youth issues. Seems to have worked however it’s also been colder weather.
· Rough sleeping – a lot more new faces, still referring to HARP and getting action taken as well.
· Lighting at night makes a massive impact on perceptions
· Forum playground zone.
· Thanks – police presence increased and noticed.
· Some location raised as perception of concern.
· Easter holiday – preparing for an influx of activity.
· Night Time Economy Survey – really important to complete, spread the word to share your views.
Next meeting: Wednesday 24th March, 6.30pm. Email Hello@SouthendBID.com to attend or provide feedback.