top of page
  • Writer's pictureSouthend BID

Businesses subject to restrictions - 05/11/20

Details below in accordance with updates issued from the Government on 5th November. Always check for the latest details on the Government's website.

Retail The below businesses may continue offering delivery and click-and-collect services (where items are pre-ordered and collected without entering the premises). People can also leave home to collect or return orders from these businesses.

Retail businesses required to close include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Clothing stores and tailors

  • homeware stores

  • tobacco and vape shops

  • electronic goods and mobile phone shops

  • charity shops

  • photography studios and antique stores

  • Markets (with exceptions)

  • Car and other vehicle showrooms and other premises

  • Car washes

All premises, whether or not required to close, can be accessed by the site owners or managers, staff or people authorised by them for the purpose of maintenance, repairs or other work to ensure readiness to reopen at a point where this is permitted, such as receiving deliveries of supplies.

Hospitality The following hospitality venues are required to close for consumption on the premises.

  • Restaurants; pubs; bars, including those in hotels or members’ clubs; social clubs

  • Cafes and canteens, including workplace canteens where there is no reasonable alternative

These businesses can continue to provide:

  • Food and non-alcoholic drinks on a takeaway basis between 5am and 10pm. This means that customers can enter the premises to place and collect their order.

  • Food and drinks for delivery, via click and collect and drive through only between 10pm and 5am. Click-and-collect and delivery services can only operate where goods are pre-ordered (by phone, online, via a mobile app or by post) and collected without entering the premises.

  • Alcohol for consumption off the premises for delivery, click and collect and drive through. As above, this means it must be pre-ordered (by phone, online, via a mobile app or by post) and must be collected without entering the premises. Venues offering click-and-collect or delivery services must not include alcoholic beverages if their license does not already permit.

  • Planning regulation has been changed to enable restaurants, cafes and pubs which have not previously offered delivery and hot food takeaway to be able to do so. Hospitality venues providing food and drink for consumption off the premises are not permitted to allow customers to consume from any adjacent seating to the premises. Room service in hotels and other guest accommodation continues to be permitted as long as it is ordered by phone or online.

Cafes or canteens may remain open in:

  • a hospital, care home or school, or provider of post-16 education or training

  • criminal justice accommodation

  • naval/military/air force or MoD facilities

Services providing food and/or drink to people experiencing homelessness can also remain open.

Accommodation Holiday accommodation must close. This includes hotels, hostels, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday homes, and boarding houses. You can only carry on your business and keep your premises open in order to provide accommodation for people who:

  • Are unable to return home, or use the accommodation as their main residence;

  • Need accommodation to move to a new house, attend a funeral, or self-isolate as required by law

  • Need accommodation for the purposes of their work or to provide voluntary services, or children who need accommodation for school or care

  • Are elite athletes, their coach or (in the case of an elite athlete who is a child), the parent of an elite athlete, and need accommodation for the purposes of training or competition

  • Are currently in that accommodation at the time when national restrictions come into force.

  • Are visiting from abroad on holiday or for work purposes

  • Are being provided accommodation to relieve or support those who are experiencing homelessness, or as a women’s or vulnerable person’s refuge.

  • To host blood donation sessions, or for any purpose requested by a Secretary of State, or local authority.

Personal Care facilities and close contact services

  • Facilities including hair, beauty and nail salons, tattoo parlours, body and skin piercing services, and tanning salons must all close, but can continue to sell retail goods online or via click-and-collect.

  • Those who provide personal care services from a mobile setting including their own home, in other people’s homes and in retail environments (such as a concession in a larger, separate business) must also stop operating.

  • Non medical acupuncture and other cosmetic services should not go ahead, but personal care services where required for medical reasons or prescribed by a qualified practitioner may continue.

  • Studying hair and beauty in vocational training environments may continue.

  • Those providing their services in a professional capacity as part of those sectors that remain open can continue to operate.

Entertainment and tourism The following businesses and venues must close:

  • Nightclubs, dance halls, and discotheques

  • Casinos, betting shops, amusement arcades and adult gaming centres

  • Bowling alleys

  • indoor games, recreation and entertainment venues (such as escape rooms and laser quest), go-karting

  • Sexual entertainment venues and hostess bars

  • Cinemas, theatres, concert halls, and other music venues (whether outdoors or indoors).

  • Museums and galleries

  • Model villages and visitor attractions at film studios,

  • Funfairs, fairgrounds, theme parks, adventure playgrounds, and aquariums

Leisure The following businesses and venues must close:

  • Skating rinks

  • Leisure and sports facilities including:

    • dance studios and fitness studios

    • gyms

    • sports courts

    • swimming pools, water sports venues, water parks

    • golf courses and driving ranges

    • indoor playgrounds or play areas, including soft play centres

Schools and colleges can continue to use gyms, fitness studios, swimming pools, sports courts and other indoor leisure centres. Indoor gyms, fitness studios, indoor sports facilities and leisure centres can be used for supervised activities for children. Elite sportspersons can use facilities such as stables, indoor gyms, fitness studios and other indoor or outdoor sports facilities for training or competition. Professional dancers and choreographers can use indoor fitness and dance studios. Personal trainers can conduct lessons but these should be one-to-one and take place in an outdoor public space, such as a park, rather than in private homes or gardens.

Read the full report which can be found HERE.


bottom of page